Empty Homes Review
Frequently asked Questions
Why have I been sent a letter?
The Council has a legal duty to maintain accurate records for billing and collection of Council Tax. The purpose of this letter is to ensure the Council’s records are correct.
Who are CapacityGrid?
CapacityGrid is a specialist public sector service provider. We work with local authorities to conduct a review of empty properties. CapacityGrid is the trading name of Liberata UK Ltd (Registered in England and Wales – No 1238274).
Do CapacityGrid have legal authority to undertake the review on behalf of Spelthorne Borough Council?
Yes - In accordance with The Local Authorities (Contracting Out of Tax Billing, Collection and Enforcement Functions) Order 1996 Spelthorne Borough Council may use a contractor to take measures to ascertain whether premises are accurately recorded for billing and collection of Council Tax.
How do CapacityGrid intend to use any information that I provide?
Information obtained by CapacityGrid and its review partners during the course of the Empty Homes Review will be shared solely with Spelthorne Borough Council. CapacityGrid is fully compliant with the Data Protection Act 1998.
A property is considered to be uninhabitable if it meets the following criteria:
- The property is currently undergoing major repair work to make it suitable to live in; or
- Work is underway to make structural alterations and the majority of this work has not been completed.
Repairs and Alterations that DO NOT meet the uninhabitable criteria:
- Plumbing or heating
- Replacement/repairs of bathroom and kitchen or any other fitting/fixtures
- Timber or damp proof treatments
- Repairs or renewals of services
- Maintenance, e.g. re-pointing, window/door replacement
In Scope Repairs:
The following types of repairs do meet the uninhabitable criteria:
- Major repairs to roof structures
- Rebuilding defective chimney stack(s)
- Rebuilding external walls, for example to extend the property
- Repair/renewal of foundations
- Underpinning substandard foundations
- Replacing defective solid floors
- Replacing defective solid floor joists
- Property totally gutted including removing most internal walls (Not stud/partition walls)
- Replacing defective ceiling joists
- Rebuilding defective walls (Not stud/partition walls)
If you need any further information regarding the Empty Homes Review please call us on 0300 3032076. Lines are open between the hours of 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday.